Thursday, October 15, 2009

Yusef's First Camping Trip

My Dad's been in town all week, and as is our usual fall tradition, we went camping out on the lake. Before I had children, we would rough it in a tent and sleeping bag, etc, but nowadays we rent a cabin. It's complete with all the modern ammenities and creature comforts which makes camping with young children much more enjoyable and certainly easier.

The drive out is a beautiful one. I've often heard people say that Kansas is so boring and flat, but I find it beautiful. Sure, it doesn't have the majesty of the Rocky's or the wonders of Yosemite, but it does have a very real and subtle beauty. My favorite part of my state is the flint hills--a unique place that is the home to the nations largest remaining tract of tallgrass prairie. I'm a prairie girl alright. I just love it. These pics don't do it justice by any means.







Apparently deer really like the prairie as well because we hit one on the way in! Thank God my dad was driving and didn't panic and no one got hurt. Well, no humans got hurt, the dear deer didn't fair as well. The front left hand side of the van sustained considerable damage, but amazingly after filing a police report for insurance purposes, we managed to drive out of there and onto the lake!
The van



Actual deer hair in the rim of the tire. I cannot believe it didn't blow.



It was a cold and dreary day, but as soon as we got to camp we made a campfire of course!



Our cabin and the view off the front porch




We went to the playground and let the kids run off some energy.

Here's Yusef with Mommy all bundled up and cuddling in his sling.





Later, it was time for some serious hot dog roasting



And after dark, s'more makin' of course. I like my marshmallows nice and dark, like they literally have to catch on fire to be considered done!



The kids having a blast with their glow sticks



I would have loved to have been able to stay more than just one night, but we had to get back to reality, school, and life. So that's it. Our annual family camping trip, and Yusef's first, with many more to come, inshallah.

6 comments:

Carrie said...

I'm so jealous! We were supposed to go camping this weekend but everyone is sick. It looks like so much fun!

Adrienne said...

Looks like fun! Yusef looked so cute!!

Kristin said...

That's the way we now camp too - cabins all the way. Looks like a fun place.

Sweet said...

That's great that Yusuf got his first camping trip. Wow, I can't believe the deer did that...glad everyone was o.k. I cannot believe you were not traumatized from that.

Looks beautiful *sigh* I wish my family had an annual trip...You've inspired me. Salam alaikum.

Anonymous said...

nice trip ..
I see in hollywood movies (specially horror movies) that deers get crushed in cars .. but never though its real !

Anonymous said...

SubhanAllah where have I been? I haven't been keeping up with my blogs...I missed this one(and others?)

Looks like you all had so much fun-looks so beautiful. Oh how I wish I could get away like that, enjoy the outside and my babies playing.

Alhamdulilah that no one was hurt over the accident(no one in the car that is)